Newtritionista M.I.A.

Monday, September 29, 2008

Apologies! What a busy weekend. With Homecoming on Saturday and my inevitable hangover yesterday, I've pretty much been lounging around and, unfortunately, not eating very well! After breakfast Saturday, Kris & I didn't eat again until around 7pm, when we went to Applebees. I had the chicken fajita rollup, which is always tasty, but definitely not low on the calorie and fat meter! Later that night (well, next morning), I scarfed down an egg sandwich that Kris had got me from Perkins before passing out on a friend's couch. Sunday was our "football tacos" from Taco John's and dinner was pizza! HORRIBLE, I know! But today is a new day.

Breakfast was some french toast that I made with two slices of Sara Lee Delightful Wheat bread, dipped in a mixture of egg whites, vanilla soy milk and cinammon, then "fried" with olive oil spray in a nonstick pan. I microwaved some frozen mixed berries and poured them on top.


Drank down a cup of green tea, too, to ease my sore throat. (I just can't seem to shake this sickness!)

A little bit later I decided to whip up some homemade hummus. I never make the same recipe twice! And I suppose it's not actually hummus, since I always skip the tahini sauce. But anyway, this is what I made it with today:

  • 1 can of garbanzo beans (chickpeas), drained
  • 2 tablespoons of Kraft zesty light italian dressing
  • 1 tablespoon Hellman's lowfat mayo (for creaminess)
  • 1 heaping tablespoon of minced garlic (I love garlic)
  • 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
  • Sea salt
  • Ground black pepper
I just put everything in food processor, grind it up and it comes out better than store-bought hummus! Very good. I snacked on some of it with some Terra Veggie Chips.

Since I was at home for lunch today, I took advantage of it and made a grilled chicken & hummus melt. I took two pieces of Kris's double fiber multigrain brain (I'd used up all of mine for the french toast this morning), layered one side with hummus and the other with some honey dijon mustard. Then I used some precooked grilled chicken strips, shredded part-skim mozzarella and canned tomatoes. I "grilled" it on a nonstick pan with olive oil spray, and ate some grapes with it.

After lunch I took a short, 2-mile run/walk. I just got out of the shower and I'm going to relax for a while before I head into class at 4. Tonight I'm going to make buffalo burgers to eat while watching Gossip Girl!

0 comments: