Greetings from Chicago

Saturday, October 18, 2008

I am absolutely exhausted, guys. Kris and I made the bad decision to stay up to all hours of the morning getting "college drunk" as we like to call it. Needless to say, it didn't result in the best of day for me today.

I'm going to quickly recap yesterday and today, just the highlights of my meals or else this will be waaaaaaaaay too long of a post!

Before hitting the road, I packed us a cooler full of snacks for the trip. It consisted of Chobani yogurts, grapes, apples, string cheese and Luna bars. We also brought along some beer, pop & vodka (not for the trip itself, but for the destination of course).

Right after we left I realized how starving I was! So I tried a new flavor of Luna Sunrise that I'd never had before: Apple Cinnamon. FREAKIN' DELICIOUS. Tasted like apple pie. It wasn't at all what I expected, as I typically find Luna bars to take a little chemically-enhanced. (But they were on sale for a $1 each at the store the other day, so I thought what the heck.) I also had some grapes.

About an hour and a half into the drive we stopped at Quiznos to grab a quick lunch. I had a Chicken Cantina flatbread sammie and a cup of chili. Both were very good.

The drive from Mankato to Chicago is about 8 hours, so we got to our friend Bob's house at a little after 8 pm. We were so hungry and antsy from being cooped up in the car for so long. We immediately headed to our FAVORITE RESTAURANT (and don't make fun of me! haha), Red Robin. We don't have them anywhere near us, so they are a special treat for us whenever we are out of state. I got the Chicken Bruschetta Sandwich, w/ their garlic parmesan steak fries. The fries make the meal, they are so good. I also had my first drink of the night, a Captain Morgan/Diet Coke.

We ended up going to a different bar and playing darts all night (which I totally dominated at), and by the time I made it to bed I was definitely drunk and way too tired. We had to get up this morning at 9 am to drive to Kris's home town of Bourbonnais, Illinois to see his family and go to his sister's volleyball tournament. It was all worth it though, Kris had a blast hanging out with his old friends from high school.

How funny are these guys?! Haha.

Before leaving for the game, I ate a blueberry Chobani yogurt and some grapes. And a TALL glass of water.

Lunch was a hot beef sandwich at the volleyball game. SORRY, no pictures!

We went back to his parents house and took a nap around 3 o'clock, then drove to Lockport to his brother's house. After debating a while about what to eat, we decided to order for a restaurant in town and go pick it up. I ordered a gyro, which was HUGE and I was only able to eat half of it.

Now I'm full and laying in bed. I think I'll do a crossword puzzle until Kris comes to bed. We have his nephew's baptism at noon tomorrow, so we get to sleep in a little bit. YAY! :-) Hope everyone is enjoying their weekend!